26 March 2010

He's a zombie and he is a tax payer

Zombies! It must be Thursday.

Supernatural is back.. in style! Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid had a season 1, monster of the week vibe, but it gets better! It was a Bobby centric episode. How often do we see a Bobby centric episode? I have been looking forward to this episode, not only because I've had enough of this long hellatus, because Smallville had a zombie episode earlier this season and I really want to see Jeremy Caver's take on zombies.

I don't watch enough zombies movies, but I've watched 30 Days of Night, one of the 28 Days Later movies (can't remember which one), I am Legend and all the Resident Evil movies, just to name a few. Supernatural was best when they give us their own version of monsters, zombies, creatures, angels and demons etc.

I am glad I didn't see any stereotypical zombies in Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid. Supernatural's zombies have their own personality: the little boy, the tax payer-soccer dad and Karen Singer. They all have a personality before they turned. It wasn't like they were humans before they got a virus or got bitten and then they became zombies. In Supernatural, they were already dead and they knew it, but they went home to their love ones to read, to bake and to pay tax. And then they turned into zombies.

I was expecting to see zombies that have the Resident Evil vibe. But I didn't. Which was great because I was seeing something different. So, I congratulate the team for their writing and their interpretation of zombies. I really enjoy this episode.

While I am on the subject of supernatural creatures on Supernatural, the pattern we've seen so far is very unique to the show. For example, most vampires we've seen in popular culture have the same Interview with the Vampire/ Twilight/ Dracula vibe. But in Supernatural, they are different, starting from the lore to the way the dress and talk. They are more like Criss Angel then Edward, and they don't talk funny. Even I think Moonlight was getting boring, because it was just the same old same old like Angel or Buffy. I am getting to my point.....

I hope Supernatural will give us a God we've never seen before on screen. I'll be totally fine to see another Morgan Freeman, but with all things we'll seen so far on Supernatural (including their take on angels, Michael and Lucifer), I think they might surprise us with their take on God. William Shatner anyone?


OK.. the serious stuff is out of the way! Let's go to my top ten list...
  1. He is a zombie and he is a tax payer.
  2. Zombies, kids... what's the different?
  3. Bobby's apple pie life.. that's a LOT of pies!
  4. What are you my mother? Bite me. (Ah.. be careful what you wish for.)
  5. Why is it always Sam who gets the shit from old ladies?
  6. No Sam, we are his family!
  7. What would you do if this happened to us, Bobby?
  8. Bobby, is that you new wife? No, it's my dead wife.
  9. The Dean and Bobby zombies shoot out totally had the Jus in Bello vibe (and I love JiB)
  10. One more Dawn Ostroff joke, I think she might sue me.
What I didn't get.. but it's totally fine!

- The episode didn't mention what happened to Sam after he got locked up in the panic room at the end of My Bloody Valentine.

- I was hoping to see a zombie cat or zombie jelly-fish, but that's ok. I understand.


So what's next for Death?

It was the first time Death was mentioned since Abandon All Hope. So, assuming Death will continue to be a bitch and keeps fudging around to make Bobby's life difficult in the up-coming episodes, but doesn't Death have a bigger battle to prepare? I mean, Death is one of the Horsemen, so Death is arrogant and
almost invincible like his brothers. Why does he care about Bobby?

Bobby said because he is in the way, he is helping the boys and supporting Team Free Will. But do you think there is something else? I think perhaps, and I stress perhaps, Bobby has another important role in the scheme of things. I mean, why would Death send Karen to delivery a message to Bobby just to warn him? Sure, the zombies were hunting him down at the end of the episode, but my point is, what's with the message? If Death wants you out of the picture, you die, right?


At this point, I just have a feeling there is something about Bobby...

Jeremy Carver, I love you.

Next week... Oh.. next week, I am so excited about next week's episode!!!! Dark Side of the Force.. I mean Moon... Dark Side of the Moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, you know you want to! It is the Winchester way.