08 February 2009

Sex & violence; a hint of a bigger fight to come; and the third Winchester brother

So, ok.. what do I think of the latest episode of Supernatural, Sex & Violence? I love it from the re-cap! I'll tell you why, but I have to include all the latest episodes in the discussion. I think the previous 4 episodes (Family Remains; Criss Angel is a Douchebag; After School Special and Sex & Violence) summed up the character development from Season 1-4 as well as hinting of what might happen in the future of the show.

During the pilot season, the recurring theme is
the Winchester family business - saving people, hunting things, family business. Family Remains kind of reminds me of that, there is always a job somewhere, there are always things to kill, there are always people to save. This episode had the creepy Supernatural tone, although it wasn't about ghost or demons, but it was a bit creepy.

Criss Angel is a Douchebag
somewhat reminds me of what could have happened in Season 2. Dean was told by John at the end of In My Time Dying that if Dean couldn't save Sam, he would have to kill him. In Born Under the Bad Sign, Dean almost had to kill Sam, who was possessed by Meg. In
Criss Angel is a Douchebag, Jay chose to kill Charlie (who is like a brother to him) in order to save Dean and Sam. I am afraid this might be the case at the end of the series, Dean has to end up killing Sam in order to save others. Just like Jay, Dean will grow old and live as a loney old man who feels sorry for himself.

After School Special
is a great Sam centric episode. It isn't so much of a reminder of Season 3, but
the episode sort of asks me to think about who the future Sam will be like. We saw the comparison/ similarity between the young Sam and the present Sam. We've seen what Sam was like when he was in high school - a relunctunt hero; he won't kick your ass unless you really piss him off; he was more cool headed than Dean; he knew what choices he had to make in life (he ended up leaving the family to go to law school). The present Sam was very conflicted about using his power for a while but now he's decided to work really closely with Ruby. What is her agenda? We still don't know. But where Sam will go, Ruby will play a big part of it.

Sex & Violence
was not only a reflection of Season 4 so far but it also gave me the biggest clue as to what might happen soon: Dean vs Sam. The brothers have been keeping secrets from each others. Despite the fact that they were under the influence of the Siren, they really spoke their mind in this episode: Sam thinks Dean is weak, Dean thinks that he is not his Sammy anymore. They said they were cool and ok at the end of the episode, but you know they are not.

I really don't know why CW sees this show as a teenage drama. I don't think this kind of topics appeal to teenagers. They are high level heavy stuff! This is the most under-rating show on TV, Jensen and Jared are indeed the most under-rated actors in the business.

On casting news, Matt Mitovich from TV Guide.com is reporting that the third Winchester brother has been cast. Jake Abel will play the 18 year old Adam Milligan. He will appear in an episode called
Jump the Shark, airing on April 23. Click here for the full article.

I have mixed feeling about this. On one hand, I don't know if I want to see the 3rd brother on the show. But on the other hand, if it has something to do with the mytho of the story, I don't mind. But it has to be better than great, ok and good just don't cut it anymore. I trust Eric Kripke and I can't wait to see what surprises he has planned for his audience. Does he look like a Winchester? What do you think?

Misha Collins (Castiel) will return in March. You can check out his interview with CW Connect here.

By the way, I am not a Grey's Anatomy fan (I'd much prefer House or Scrubs), but I've just noticed they have an episode called Dream a Little Dream of Me.. Hello?! I know it's song, but it's also the title of an episode in Supernatural. May I say that if Jeffrey Dean Morgan has time to return to TV, he should guest star on Supernatural not on Grey's!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thats going to be really weird to have another winchester.
    they should bring the dad back too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree! I just can't wait to see this episode! And I hope Season 5 will be renewed soon

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! It is the Winchester way.