01 February 2009

Season 4 DVD; After School Special - afterthought and TV ratings


I first discovered the artwork of the Season 4 DVD from Misha Collins Fan. Not sure if this is the final artwork, but it looks pretty cool to me. Release date of the DVD will probably be around Sept 2009. I've already pre-ordered my copy from Amazon. Also pre-ordered Season 3 Official Companion and re-newed my Supernatural Official Magazine subscription from CineQuest.

Speaking of DVD, I always love the gag reels.. LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!
I also love 'Day in the Life of Jensen and Jared' in the Season 1 DVD. But I was a bit disappointed with the special features on the Season 3 DVD. I was expecting more commentaries and special features. And I wanted to see Eric Kripke more! Other TV shows' DVDs have special features on the casts and more behind the scene stuff. So I hope there will be something like a character profile on Dean, Sam, Bobby and Castiel, as well as more behind the scene stuff. Some of the Stargate SG1 DVDs included footage from ComicCon and other Conventions, they were really good, especially for people like me who live outside of USA. So I hope they will have more stuff in Season 4 DVD.

On the latest episode of Supernatural, After School Special, I personally think young Sam (Colin Ford) gave a better performance, may be it's because I've seen him in A Very Supernatural Xmas. I really like Sam in this episode. And it made me think that perhaps he won't totally turn to the dark side of the force (so to speak!). I thought this episode will be really funny, but I felt that it was actually rather dark. Their childhood was not exactly Hallmark memories, and this episode totally delivered that. I just wish John Winchester would make a guest appearance. Young Dean (Brock Kelly) was good, you can see that's Dean and Kelly channeled Dean's mannerism quite well. I think Young Dean's girlfriend was spot on when she was 'breaking up' with him, she said that Dean is just a loney guy blah blah blah... and Dean said no he is not and she doesn't know anything about him. The fact is, Dean might be the tough guy, ladies man on the outside, but this is his game face. You know he is a hero, he always put other people's lives before his own. He was torturing souls in Hell, and those souls are there for a reason, but he still feels guilty about torturing them and he will never forgive himself. That said a lot about his character.

Why I like Sam in this episode? Mainly because I really like the Young Sam. It's like watching the Young Anakin (only 100 times better!). This episode added a lot of depth to his character. He is really smart, and he doesn't want to cause trouble. But if you push his button, he will kick you ass so hard, but he is not evil.

After School Special was written by Andrew Dabb and Daniel Loflin, Directed by Adam Kane, Rating was 3.6 million according to E! Online. According to TV by the Numbers, CW's press release indicated that Supernatural scored season high with women and best since its season premier in adults and viewers.


The big questions remain and I hope I'll get some answers by the end of Season 4: Why is Dean the chosen one? What is the real mission from God? What is Ruby's real intention? What else happened in Hell between Alister and Dean?

A few minor questions: Will we see the Colt again? Where did Ruby get her knife?

Last but not least, Executive Producer Kim Manners passed away last week.
Kim's episodes were always amazing. If Kim's name appeared on the opening credit as director, I so knew that would be a super amazing episode. He directed numerous episodes of the series, including some of my favorite favorite episodes include Season 1's "Shadow" and "Devil's Trap"; Season 2's "In My Time of Dying"; Season's 3 "Mystery Spot", "No Rest for the Wicked"; and Season 4's "Lazarus Rising". Kim was also an influential figure in the X Files series. Thank you Kim. You will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, you know you want to! It is the Winchester way.