10 April 2010

[Updated] Supernatural episode review: 99 problems, most of them relate to Castiel's inability of using a cell phone

"You've reached the voice mail of...."

"I don't understand, why do you want me to say my name?"

"Doo doo doo doo doo...."

So.. what do you think?
After my reaction to previous episode Dark Side of the Moon, I felt somewhat relieved to read Julie Siege's name on the opening credit. She wrote some of my favorite episodes including It's the Great Pumpkin Sam Winchester and Monster at the End of the Book. In general I love 99 Problems more than Dark Side of the Moon.

The episode was almost 99 kinds of awesome. Apart from one continuity problem, I love it. While this episode didn't score the perfect ten from me, like Pumpkin and The Winchester Gospel, the thing I love about 99 Problems is that this is the other type of Supernatural episode I love. 99 Problems certainly has the Jus in Bello-Croatoan vibe, and you know how much I adore Jus in Bello and I love Croatoan.


Continuity problem

Let's get the only WTF comment I have for this episode out of the way and then I can blog happily ever after.

The ending with Lisa was very random.
The continuity and the connection seem somewhat very strange to me. We have seen Dean's vision of Lisa and the Picnic in Dream a Little Dream of Me. In The Kids Are Alright, we found out Dean cared about Ben, he enjoyed spending time with him. Lisa was the first girl Dean wanted to see when he knew he was going to die. In both episodes, the writers had established that Dean wouldn't mind to have a son, deep down he wanted some happy time with Lisa and he would love a nuclear family, but it's just not his life.

Perhaps Dean needs Lisa and Ben as
leverage in negotiations with the angels. There is nothing in his life left apart from Sam and the Impala. So I think this is the only reason for the writer to bring Lisa and Ben back into the picture briefly. I feel that if Ben is indeed Dean's son, this would've been a very good reason to bring them back, otherwise what's the point? When I saw Dean standing in front of Lisa, I really thought he was going to ask her "Is Ben my son? I really need to know." But he didn't. And Lisa has denied all along that Ben is not Dean's son. If he is, then there is certainly a Winchester connection there.

I guess if we've seen a bit more of Lisa and Ben stuff or even if we've seen one Lisa and Ben moment in Dark Side of the Moon, then I'll have no problem with it. I just felt that the ending was very random and sudden.
Some of you also pointed out that Dean whispered something into Lisa's ear, but I thought it was just a kiss.

OK.. let's get on with the stuff I love..

I love this episode from the beginning. I love the
Jus in Bello-Croatoan vibe. I love it when Dean and Sam have backups. I love it when Supernatural goes ... well.. Jus in Bello. I wouldn't mind seeing the brothers gathering a few hunters to fight the war together. I also wouldn't mind seeing a few hunters who we've met in The End. For continuity purpose, I think it'll be really cool to introduce them as civilians in this episode and go Terminator 3 about it. I know I know! For the 99th times, I just want Supernatural to go Terminator Salvation. Deal with it!

I love Michael Shanks. A bit disappointed that he didn't get to play a more important role. For the 99th times, I really really wanted Dr Jackson to play the Archangel Michael or God when I first heard about this casting. But nevertheless, I love me some Shanks. It was great to see him in Smallville and now Supernatural.

I love Castiel. He is just 99 kinds of awesome! Oh boy! I just wuv to hugz him. I am lost for words when it comes to Cas. "I don't understand, why do you want me to say my name?". He is soooooo funny when it comes to using his cell phone. He is too cute when it comes to Cas and his cell phone ^_^ OMG I love him!!!! LOVE HIM! My life would suck without Cas. Seeing him drunk and depressed is heart breaking. But we all have our moments.


I love the idea of having a true servant of Heaven to kill the Whore of Babylon. Dean? Yeah baby! I still think apart from the bloodline stuff, Dean really is the righteous man and he has underestimated himself. So I think he should man up and kick some asses! Beside, Dean and Sam are the best hunters in the business, that's why they have their own show! The world needs Dean and Sam.. and Castiel.. and Bobby...

Speaking of Sam, I like Sam in this episode. I like it when Sam asked Dean not to give up. That scene in the motel reminded me of the season 3 Sam. I love Sam's don't-friggin-give-up-now-don't-you-dare attitude. Look, it's just a dysfunctional family, Sam knows he's got issues, but Dean is pretty messed up too. (Wait.. is that a song?), so at the end of the day, their lives would suck without each other.

So, there is something seriously wrong with Dean. He has hit rock bottom, like he has hit the core of earth! Will Dean say yes? 'oly merde! I am going back and forth with this. Right now, I don't think he will say yes. His heart is telling him to say yes and I know all clues point to him saying yes, but I think the writers will keep throwing us the curve ball.

Without thinking about it 99 times, this episode is definitely 99 out of 120. Apart from the random Lisa moment (which I guess I understand where the writer is coming from), I think it was a solid and awesome episode. I was expecting a sleeper filler, but I am glad that I was wrong. And I certainly love this episode more than last week. Having said that, last week's fireworks and Dean wuv hugz moment were GOLD!


The rating for 99 Problems was pretty good at 2.96 in the first hour and 2.58 in the second hour. Source Spoiler TV and TVbytheNumber.

I think this is a treat for all the Dean girls ^_^

PS* This is for the Crossroads nation: If JoHan kills the scary movie guy with his mullet, I am growing a mullet. HA!

A couple of reminders:

The Crossroads podcast, the best
Supernatural podcast in the universe, will have a live show on UStream on Sat 17 April 8pm central standard time (US). The Queen and I and a few other tweeps will be glued to our computers for that! Come join us on UStream, there will be a live chat while we listen to Ty, Star and may be Tim discussing the 100th episode. You can download the weekly program on iTune.

Team Panic Room is hosting a Chadathon (Dr Badass) on Sunday 18 April (3pm) Sydney time. (Which is really a few hours after the Crossroads live show due to time zone.) So join us if you're around, we are going to rewatch some of the Dr Badass episodes: Everybody Loves a Clown, Simon Said and Hunted. Details here.

4 comments:

  1. Hahah the Queen.
    Yay Crossroads.
    The whole Lisa thing was so weird. Its not like he loves her he just wants to have something to leave behind, a real family that cares about him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah.. It's just too random, strange and disconnected.

    I would've loved to see Lisa to turn around the say JOHAN JOHAN, where are you JOHAN?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha!
    Ben's middle name is JOHAN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh That's so DEAN!! Like hey, that's my son! And his mullet rocks!!

    Too funny!!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! It is the Winchester way.