02 April 2010

A Not So Heavenly Review: Dark Side of the Moon

Dark Side of the Moon left an emotional scar on my brain, which was already fried. It was an emotional roller-coaster. Did I sleep well last night? Did I wake up ok this morning? Who put that bin there?

Here are the highlights of my emotional-Supernatural-meter during the episode. These thoughts occurred in real time. [Sound effect: 24 count down clock]


I loved the 'previously on', it usually set the tone of the episode and Supernatural does very awesome 'previously on'. Five seconds into the recap, I knew I was going to love this episode...


Then, the boys died. So OK.. not to worry, they'll be back. So let's move on!

Life flashes before your eyes when you die. I like how Heaven was written on the show. Different people have different experience when they get there. I know what my Heaven will be like. [Sound effect/ cue: evil laugh]

Dean's first memory was beautiful. I cannot use another word other than beautiful to describe this memory. It was about him and little Sammy (Colin Ford) doing normal things as brothers.
Just the two of them. Young and innocent. It was probably one of THE BEST scenes of the entire episode. It was beautifully done. I mean, when was the last time you see Dean smiled like he meant it? The soundtrack was perfect for this scene: Bob Dylan's Knockin' On Heaven's Door. That hug from little Sammy bought tears to my eyes.

At this point of the episode, I was pretty sure I would love love love this episode..... Like 99% sure.

Then it came Cas's voice from the Impala. Wait... the Impala died too? We love Cas! But he didn't honk.

Next, we saw Sam's first memory. Having Thanksgiving with another family. Good one Sammy! Let's move on. Shall we?


We then saw Castiel appeared on TV. You go ahead and appear on my TV anytime any day honey! Cas couldn't return to Heaven, so this was the only way to communicate with the brothers. We found out Zach was looking for them (what's new?!). Just stay away from the light and find a road. They now must locate Joshua, the angel who talked to God.

I thought the toy track/ car thing was a great touch, it was very fitting because the next memory was about Dean's childhood, and it was Dean's toy. Kudos to the writers, it was very thoughtful.

Dean's second memory was about Mary. Naturally. The sandwich scene was as nicely done as the one in WIASNB. But Sam was there this time, which was fine until he opened his mouth. When Sam said to Dean "let's go, come on." I was like.. SAMMY SHUT UP! Give Dean a minute!!

Sam should have known by now that Dean actually remembered his life as a child with his mother. Unlike Sam, who had no memory of Mary because he was only six month old when she died. Sam may not know this, but as viewers we know Dean remembered about the Hey Jude and the tomato rice soup. So to me, it was either the writers purposely wrote Sam as a douche or it was a Sam 'who cares, it's not real, so why bother to stay longer' moment. The Dean and Mary hug at the end was beautiful. Dean didn't get to give Mary a hug last time in The Song Remains the Same, so yeah, it was beautiful. Tissues anyone?


Next, Sam's second memory was about a dog. WTF? And it wasn't even a family dog, it was a random dog. Of course, at this point I was asking myself, may be it was Zach's doing, may be it was his trick to show Dean how selfish Sam was, so that Dean would just give up and say yes. Dean was pissed (I would too), because Sam's idea of happiness was to run away from his family, while Dean was worried sick about his brother's safety for two weeks. The thing was, Sam didn't even realise it caused Dean to worry. He just went off to do his own thing.

Next we saw the road where Sam left for Stanford. Dean totally flipped! At that point, I was like, someone please tell me this was Zach's doing because I can really kick Sam in his Elvis sideburns right now! And of course, if one of Sam's memories was having sex with Ruby, I'll throw my Aussie thongs at my TV.

Next!

Houston, we've found the Winchester boys. I repeat, we've found them. The brothers were running from Zach. Kurt Fuller did a fantastic job in this episode! I love Zach. He is the perfect villain.

Next!
Johan's* twin brother, ASH!!! [*Only the Crossroads Nation know what I am talking about.] Meet Dr Bad-Ass in his Kick-Ass outfit!!! That was awesome! I love Ash! It was great to see him. I feel that the writers could have given him a purpose to be there. Like ok, he helped the boys to escape and he used his Mac, I mean PC to track down Joshua. But I was kinda expecting a bit more. It was nice to see Pam too. However, I am not convinced about Pam's speech with Dean. She was convincing Dean to say yes. Anytime anyone tried to convince Dean to say yes, I think it's Zach's doing.

OK.. next! (Fudge, this is turning out to be a very long review.. oh well.. suck it up and keep reading!)

The brothers ran into Mary, who was not herself. I wasn't liking the whole Mary-acting-strange thing. Was it necessary? It was Zach's doing obviously of course. Then, Zach was talking talking talking about how he was going from 'employee of the month' to 'joke of the month'. And he started talking about his feelings, his favorite boy band and fairy floss...

Oh but excuse me sir, the boss wanted to talk to the boys now....

When I first read about the new angel, I was really excited. Do I like it after I watch this episode? Well...I like his mannerism. He reminded me of the Oracle (from The Matrix) or Missouri (from season one of Supernatural).
Joshua's purpose was to rely God's message to the brothers. The message was "BACK OFF." Perhaps he is God himself but he doesn't reveal himself as God.

This leads to my official discussion... I know! Here comes the main course..

Let's talk about God

Where the pie are you?!

OK so.. if God doesn't give a shit, why did he save Dean and Sam from the church? Why did he save Castiel? May be I am reading too much into this, but God's message was "Back off" not "Give up" or "Just say yes." I am not sure what it means!

Dean was so heart-broken by the end of this episode. Just when he thought he couldn't get any lower in emotional terms, God's message was in-your-face!
Has Dean done enough? Has he tried hard enough to save the world? What else can he do it to fight supernatural creatures?

This is a whole new level of despair for Dean.
I know this is Supernatural and not Alice in Wonderland, but I wish there is a sign of hope, just one, you know? Just show Dean one sign of hope. Give him one good reason to fight. People have already mentioned it, perhaps it was a test. I mean, since when God live your life for you? I think Dean needs to be DEAN. Just take a step back and find a way, fine hope and create his own path. Go save people, hunt things.. Screw the apocalypse.

At the end of the episode, Castiel was so broken too, like a kid realized Santa wasn't real or the whole man on the moon thing was shot in a Hollywood studio. [I like how Dean woke up from being dead and immediately called Cas. Lucky he has enough minutes.]

Don't throw the amulet into the bin!

This is pretty much on everyone's lips: Don't throw the amulet into the bin!

If I work in the props department of the show, I will not put the bin there. They can fire me after that! I understand why Dean did it. But I think it was weird to see it, I feel that it was the writing of the scene. The amulet was a Xmas gift from Sammy, it symbolized the brotherhood or the bond. It was only revealed to us the other purpose of it, which was a God EMF. Dean was absolutely gutted after returning from Heaven, he was disappointed to know that he and the family wasn't part of any of Sam's happy memory (the argument is, it could have well been one of Zach's tricks); Dean was also disappointed with God's state of mind.
I just hope that Sam would pick up the amulet from the bin (off camera).

I've love gut-wrenching episodes, but this one... this one was weird to me. I think from now on, I shall create a new category called We are so screwed and file all the
gut-wrenching-we-are-so-screwed episodes into this category.

3 comments:

  1. Wow you have a lot to say.

    It has to be a test, I dont know what the boys are going to do. Bobby, Sam Dean and now Cas are all broken. All with out hope and faith.

    Something will flame the fires of faith... I hope. God is going to have to show up... or at least Bobby giving the boys some tough love. Something for them to snap out of their pity, I dont know whats going to happen.

    Thank God we arent going into a Hellatus...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah_Loves_SPN here :) I know what u mean bout feeling weird. I feel weird still. It's like Dean threw Sam in the bin. I just pray Sam got it out & will give it back to Dean in a great brotherly moment. I loved the fire work scene great brother stuff! Why do they insist on ripping the brothers apart to this level!! Loved Dean & Mary too! Sam was telling Dean to hurry but if you watch Sams face (granted I've only managed to watch once so far) there was so much emotion there, I thought, unless I'm remembering it wrong. I was doing ok through the ep... Until that god damn bin!!! They have broken my heart. And right now I agree... We are screwed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah_Loves_SPN: I thought you went to bed already? hehe...

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! It is the Winchester way.