19 March 2011

Supermoon Weekend Edition - Alien Invasion Movies

I watched Battle: LA today. More alien invasion movies, fan-bloody-tastic! Just what we needed! The movie was ok, it has some moments. I was sure Jack Bauer was going to pop up and kick some butts. I don't know why I said that, but that idea did come up during the movie.

I think after Independence Day, there should be no more alien invasion movies, not with the similar ending anyway. It's like the writers can't think of a better way to end the movie: 'let's blow up the mother ship, surely no one would remember ID4, right?'

I know movies such as Battle: LA is about aliens invasion, colonisation, they come, they kill, heroes saving people. It's a blast fest with a non-stop soundtrack straight out from Epic Action & Adventure or Trailerhead. It's a good way to spend 2-hour on a Saturday afternoon, but it just looks so familiar!! When was the last time I saw an alien-invasion-colonisation-they come-they-kill type of movie? Cloverfield? At least J.J Abrams took the mockumentary approach. At least there was something creative about it.

Still, I was hoping to see something a bit more to the battle, what about the motive behind the invasion? Why are aliens always portrayed as the enemies in Hollywood movies? I guess this is why I like District 9 better, I know they are different movies, but it's about thinking outside the square. Aren't creative people suppose to be creative? District 9 has aliens but it's a drama, it's not the usual sci-fi stuff. I was drawn into it because of the drama, the relationship and the motive.

The characters in Battle: LA reminds me of those from Alien/ Aliens... May be I have been watching the Alien films re-run on TV lately, Aaron Eckhart is like a male version of Sigourney Weaver, and his marines are like Hicks' team. Perhaps the best thing about Battle: LA is the trailer of THOR.

I just want Jack Bauer to pop out and kick asses. I am sure he can do a Neo versus countless Agent Smiths and have Chloe bringing down the mothership. A 24 very own version of alien invasion movie? I like it like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, you know you want to! It is the Winchester way.