24 October 2009

After-thoughts: Episode 5.06 I believe the children are our future

I believe the children are our are future. Teach them well and let them lead the way. Show them all the beauty they possess inside. Give them a sense of pride to make it easier. Let the children's laughter remind us how we used to be.

Sorry, got a bit carried away. Don't shoot me, you know I can't help it. Every time I see the episode title '
I believe the children are our are future', I just can't help it!

When I first saw the episode title, without knowing much about the details, I thought it was going to be a light filler episode. But it is quite the contrary, this episode is dark. Anytime you involve kids and demons in a dark environment, it's extra creepy.

I thought this episode was pretty well done. Notice all the child actors on Supernatural have are extremely talented young actors. They can really nail the role. I am so impressed with their performance. I think
Gattlin Griffith stole some scenes from Jensen and Jared. I really enjoy his storyline and his performance.

Meet
Jeese (guest star Gattlin Griffith) the Anti-Christ Superstar, he is half human and half demon (so Constantine!). He is Lucifer's most powerful weapon. But he doesn't know it yet, because he is so powerful, no angels and demons can find him. There is a force field around him. Whatever he believes is coming true. He believes tooth fairy looks like John Belushi, pop rocks and coke causes massive ulcers and itching powder causes a girl scratching her brain out. That's what he can do now as a 11 year old, but his power will grow strong as he grows up. Castiel said Jeese will destroy the angels and Lucifer will make sure of it.

My favorite part is when Jesse's mother described her experience with the demon and the birth. The way Dean and Sam looked at her when she was telling the story, was exactly my reaction. That was scary! It's like watching End of Days or something... This kinda of things give me the creep.

I usually don't like the evil demon stuff, I never really enjoy End of Days or The Exorcist, I found the storyline disturbing and good people always die. I always have to watch The Smurfs after I watched films like that. But the thing about this kind of storyline in Supernatural is that they are really well written. It is not written in for the scare factors, it's a character study. Let's compare Jesse to the psychic kids. The
psychic kids like Ava or Lily or Jake. In AHBL, we see some of them turned evil, just like that, out of the blue because Azazel told them stuff. So they are like.. ok.. I'll do it, I want to be powerful, I want the world. But with Jesse, he wants to listen to what Sam and Dean has to say about his origin, the war between angels & demons and his purpose. Sam wants to believe someone out there can make the right decision. Jeese made a decision. He went to Australia... possibly Surfers Paradise!

I think it's simple for Jeese for now. He is a kid, he doesn't want to be part of this, he doesn't want his parents to get hurt, so he went into hiding. This might not be the last time we see Jesse. I would like to see him again.

One last comment: I notice some people think Supernatural is making the Anti-Christ Superstar too cute and likeable, as if they think the
Anti-Christ Superstar should never be likeable. But here is the thing, in Supernatural, there is always a reason behind why someone or something turn from good to bad. There is no such thing as born evil. Like Darth Vader, we know he is evil, but why? What happened to Anakin Skywalker? He was a good man but what made him to turn to the dark side? Or like Lex Luthor, we always know he is dark and twisted but why and what were the contributing factors?

It's refreshing to see how writers are developing storyline on Supernatural.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, you know you want to! It is the Winchester way.