25 April 2009

Afterthoughts: Episode 4:19 Jump the Shark

*Spoiler alert if you haven't watched this episode*

When I first heard about the 3rd Winchester brother, I wasn't sure about it. I just don't want the 3rd brother to ruin the show. I just couldn't see how it would work in a long run. But I kept an open mind when I watched the episode. I've got to trust Kripke right?!

To me, episode 4:19 Jump the Shark
has the Season 1 vibe and it almost feels like a John centric episode. The guy has been dead for over 2 years but he is still much alive in the show. In Jump the Shark, not only we met Adam, the secret son of John, later in the episode we found out that John was on a case in this town years ago saving people, hunting things and started a new family! There is something very 'John' about this episode.

On John's secret family, perhaps it's like what Dean said, John was protecting Adam and his mother, he didn't want them to be part of any Winchester family business. But here is what I think. Could this be the place John escaped to whenever he felt he needed a break?
Doing something normal? Visiting Adam and his mother? Taking Adam to a baseball game on his birthday? I think it was more being a responsible father to Adam and doing something normal with him. I don't know if it's just me or not, the photos we saw in this episode of John, Adam and the mother were happy photos, John looked genuinely happy with this secret family. So I just think that perhaps deep down John wanted this and wanted to be around to get away from hunting. To be honest, if John didn't want to be there, I don't think he'd be there at all.

It's interesting to see how different Dean and Sam reacted to Adam.
I was with Dean, I thought Adam must be a shape-shifter or this job was a trap. But Sam, as usual, did his research and checked him out. He was pretty much convinced that Adam was a real person and accepted Adam as a brother from the beginning. But we didn't see much from Adam, he didn't question or had doubts. I guess he was convinced that Dean and Sam were his brothers when they told him. But then he is not really Adam, he wanted to fast track to DINNER TIME.

The last scene of burning Adam's body reminded me of John's funeral, where Dean and Sam burnt his body. Dean was wearing the leather jacket in both scenes and the photography of the scene was similar, i.e. we saw Dean's face through the smoke of the fire. I thought this scene was very well crafted. This scene really reminded me how much the boys have changed since John's death.

Overall, I thought this episode was fine but it's not one of my favorites. It's 3 out of 5 for me.

I am more excited about next week's episode The Rapture. I know I am repeating myself again, but I really am! What kind of person is Jimmy? Will Jimmy get along with Dean more or Sam more? Is Jimmy funny and completely different from Castiel? Only thing for sure, Jimmy can change his outfit before Castiel returns or he's stuck in that trench-coat for a lot longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, you know you want to! It is the Winchester way.