04 July 2013

SDCC Update -- X Files 20th Anniversary; Marvel; Thor The Dark World; Captain America Winter Soldier; Schedule Update

We are weeks away from SDCC. As a fan who can't be there, not only I am getting super excited about the event, I am also killing myself. Why am I not there this year? 

A number of updates have WOW'd me. Here is one. I am excited to hear not only Christ Carter will be there with David Amann, Vince Gilligan, Howard Gordon, Darin Morgan, Glen Morgan, John Shiban and Jim Wong, Hollywood Reporter and SDCC Unofficial Blog also confirmed Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny will be joining the panel on Thursday 18th July at 3:30 p.m. in Ballroom 20.

When I learnt X-Files will be there to celebrate its 20th Anniversary, I was secretly hoping they will announce the next movie. Whatever. To get into the mood and it is the show's 20th Anniversary this year, I quickly opened the X Files box set that has been sitting in my room for a few weeks and watched the first season, thanks for a trusted source. This is not a show I talk about, but this is a show that changed a lot of things for good during an important phase of my life.  

I was made aware of the fact that J.J Abrams wrote a Preface for The Complete X-Files: Behind the Series the Myths and the Movies (2008), again thanks to a trusted source. I may not mean anything then, but it totally makes me cry now that I have watched 75% of Abrams' work. It got me thinking, The X Files is so influential indeed to pop culture, writers, directors and genre shows. Every now and then you have something that changed the culture and the industry -- Star Wars being one. And on TV, you have The X Files which has influenced shows such as Lost and Supernatural. If there is a time to revisit this brilliant work of art, this is the time! 20th years on and the truth is still out there! 

Another piece of news that got me excited is that Marvel is bringing Thor: The Dark World to SDCC. Thor is my least favourite of all Marvel Avengers movies. But I still love it. When I say least favourite, I mean, I watch it less than Captain America, Avengers and Iron Man, which I watched pretty much every second week, I watched Thor is every month or every second month. Whatever.


The last but certain NOT LEAST, is that the appearance of Captain America: Winter Soldier. OMFG! Cap is my favourite of Marvel superhero. He just is! 

Captain America: Winter Soldier concept art. Source: Collider
Now, I read stuff from various sources -- Collider, Empire and SDCC Unofficial Blog -- Marvel is definitely making an appearance and will own the Hall H stage on July 20th. A lot of people are expecting a lot of things -- cast appearance, exclusive footage and the announcement of phase three stuff. There are a lot of reasonable speculations about who might be there and what Marvel might reveal. One thing for sure, it'd be very stupid of Marvel not to utilize Hall H this year and reconfirm their position in the pop culture and the market. 

Anyhoo, in light of all the updates, I have revised my schedule. PS, this is only my shortlist, so that I know when to get up and follow live tweets. For a complete schedule of TV panels, go to Hollywood Reporter for details.

WEDNESDAY, JULY 17

Pilot screenings:


Almost Human (stars Karl Urban)
The Tomorrow People (stars Mark Pellegrino, Robbie Amell)
The 100 (stars Henry Ian Cusick)
The Originals will have a special screening including unseen footage.


THURSDAY, JULY 18

The X-Files 20th Anniversary (3:30 p.m. Ballroom 20)
Panellists: Chris Carter, David Amann, Vince Gilligan, Howard Gordon, Darin Morgan, Glen Morgan, John Shiban and Jim Wong joined by Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny.

FRIDAY, JULY 19
*Schedule and room allocation to be announced*
 

The Walking Dead (Hall H)
Panelists: EPs -- Scott Gimple, EPs Gale Anne Hurd, Robert Kirkman, Dave Alpert and Greg Nicotero. Cast -- Andrew Lincoln, Norman Reedus, Steven Yeun, Lauren Cohan, Danai Gurira, David Morrissey, Chad Coleman and Scott Wilson.

Almost Human

Panelists: Karl Urban, Michael Ealy, J.H. Wyman

The 100
Panelists: Eliza Taylor, Thomas McDonell, Marie Avgeropoulos, Henry Ian Cusick, Matthew Miller, Jason Rothenberg

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Panelists: Joss Whedon, Jeph Loeb

SATURDAY, JULY 20
*Schedule and room allocation to be announced*

Arrow
Panelists: Stephen Amell, Katie Cassidy, David Ramsey, Emily Bett Rickards, Colton Haynes, Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim, Andrew Kreisberg

The Originals
Panelists: Joseph Morgan, Claire Holt, Phoebe Tonkin, Charles Michael Davis, Julie Plec

Revolution
Panelists: Eric Kripke (hopefully he is not flying solo, otherwise it will be awkward)

The Tomorrow People
Panelists: Robbie Amell, Mark Pellegrino, Peyton List, Greg Berlanti, Phil Klemmer, Danny Cannon


Being Human (4 p.m. Indigo Ballroom)
Panelists: Sam Witwer, Meaghan Rath, Sam Huntington, Kristen Hager and EP Anna Fricke will be on the panel.

Once Upon a Time; Once Upon a Time in Wonderland

Panellists: TBA

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Hall H)

Panelists: TBA

Thor The Dark World (Hall H)
Panelists: TBA

SUNDAY, JULY 21
*Schedule to be announced*

Supernatural (Hall H. Time TBA)
Panelists: Jensen Ackles, Jared Padalecki, Misha Collins, Mark A. Sheppard, Jeremy Carver, Robert Singer


No announcement has been made by HBO about Game of Thrones. I am sure they will be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, you know you want to! It is the Winchester way.