23 July 2013

SDCC 2013 -- Supernatural

Source: TheWB
This year's SDCC went out with a bang! I mean, there wasn't a dull moment since Day 1. The past few days were intense! Those who slept outside Hall H and got in, you're epic! A fan sleep out is always fun! I hope I get to go next year. 

Source: Somewhere on Tumblr
The last day of Comic Con has always been my favorite because of Supernatural. This is a massive opportunity to add pretty photos to my library and to start thinking about season nine based on the information the panel gave us. I think if I have to use one word to describe this year's Comic Con, it'd be 'surprise'. There were plenty of surprises that blew fans pants off.

Source: TheWB
The biggest surprise is the appearance of Felicia Day (aka Charlie) on the panel. I love her character. Felicia has this smile that makes you smile, she is super cute! She is clearly a fan favorite. While it has been announced that season nine has big plan for Charlie, I think (and I hope) she will get more and more air time, just like how Crowley progresses on the show. I think she really adds great value to the show. I don't think her character was written to last in the first place, I am not so sure. But she is adding something different to the show, and I hope she will be more integral in season nine. Someone pointed out that Felicia was the first female appeared on the Supernatural panel in SDCC. That's awesome, bitches!

Source: TheWB
Another surprise is the announcement of a spin-off series based on a new character who will be introduced in or around episode 20. That episode will be served as a backdoor pilot to the new show. Pick up is not guaranteed, of course. The CW has this thing about creating spin-off, for example, The Originals -- The Vampire Diaries spin-off. But The Originals is different because Klaus and co have been around for a few seasons, they were established characters. 

Source: TheWB
With the Supernatural spin-off, I am happy about the spin-off, but very surprised about the fact that it will be based on a new character. I would rather see a Garth, Charlie or Kevin spin-off, or Henry Winchester/ Men of Letters spin-off, or better, a John and Mary spin-off. This new character has to work in order for the spin-off to take off. It has to be a super epic character. I am very intrigued to see who this character is. It is certainly a very very interesting move. According to Huffington Post, episode 20 will be written by Andrew Dabb, and it will be more urban than on the cross country road trip feel. 

Source: TheWB
Source: TheWB
I can't help but think about the idea -- Eric Kripke once had this idea for Supernatural, it was about a tabloid journalist traveling around the country fighting for the truth, rather than about two brothers. Perhaps the writers will go back to this idea? The other hot idea I have in mind is the Men of Letters spin-off, but I guess Jeremy and Bob would want to keep this for Supernatural. I can't wait to hear more about this new spin-off -- who is in it, what it is called, who will be the showrunner etc. This is a weird piece of surprise, but I really want to know more!

Source: TheWB
Source: TheWB
The panel itself was as fun as usual. Jensen and Jared were so hot, it's out of this world! Jeremy Carver was as careful as always. The cast was as playful as always. It was great to see Bob to be on the panel for the first time. It was rather sad not to have Ben Edlund on the panel. 

Jensen and Jared were on the Nerd Machine panel. I haven't watched the video, but I will!!! I am not handling the hottness too well. I am having a 'melt down.' Haha.. Not to mention all the toys debate at SDCC. Shit! I need at least two weekends to go through everything I want to see from this epic geek fest! 

For a full wrap up on the Supernatural panel, check out stuff from IGN, Zap2IT and TVGuide.

Credit: @redteekal
Source: TheWB
Once I have watched the panel a few times, and as more news surfaced, I'll be writing my thoughts and my wish list for season nine. I will also aim to get the season eight awards out before October with a few Twitter friends. Watch this space!

Last but not least, congrats to Jarpad and Gen on their second baby! They've been busy! Congrats! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, you know you want to! It is the Winchester way.