05 April 2013

This Week in TV - Game of Thrones; The Vampire Diaries; Revolution

This has been a great week in TV. Game of Thrones and Revolution return in style. I have started to watch The Vampire Diaries and I know I am four seasons behind (so, no spoilers please). So, here are my thoughts.


After ten months since we last saw White Walkers and zombie horses frightened the crap out of Samwell Tarly in the season two finale of Game of Thrones, the epic tale resumed.  To me, the Tyrion/Tywin scene and Dany/Barristan Selmy scene in Valar Dohaeris were the highlights. I cannot begin to tell you how much I love the dialogues and the emotions came out of the Tyrion/Tywin scene. You know what's going to happen, right? If you have read the book. I love how Tyrion was so misunderstood and remained to be so hated by Tywin and Cersei. 

I just love to see how much Dany's dragons have grown. I know a lot of people complained about Dany in season two and in the books. But I think ultimately she was a little girl who tried to learn how to be a Queen. She had a thing about slaves, like the way Hermione felt about house elves. Dany is one of my favourite characters and I really enjoyed seeing her grow on the TV series. I love the Dany/Barristan Selmy I have goosebumps watching that scene. Someone brought this up, and I agree that the writers skipped all that mystery about Arstan Whitebeard and revealed who Barristan Selmy was. To me, I feel that perhaps season three will focus on making Dany stronger sooner. 


Moving on the Revolution. I love a good post-apocalyptic dystopian drama. What I love about Revolution right now, is Rachel. I love Elizabeth Mitchell. She is like John Winchester in Supernatural, fully of mysteries and history, but Rachel is alive and we are seeing a lot of flashbacks and backstories about the blackout etc. I think her character is adding a lot of meat to the story. I don't find Charles annoying like other fans. I actually enjoy watching the character growth. I am a sucker for love story in story like this, Jason Neville and Charlie, just get on with it please? And my god, do I want to see Miles and Bass to confront each other again? When is it going to happen again? I love seeing the whole best friends turn enemies story. It's so dark. I love it! I think Revolution is planting seeds for future episodes and seasons. For more in depth reviews, visit my friend Nicole at TVForTheRestOfUs.


I finally gave in and bought The Vampire Diaries DVDs. They were on sales at the supermarket. I know a lot of tweeps on my timeline mentioned the show. I trust my tweeps and if people are talking about it, then it can't be that bad! My initial thought is that, The Vampire Diaries is better than Twilight because I think Nina Dobrev carries the show very well as Elena and Katherine. For a start, Nina Dobrev can act, unlike K-Stew. I think Nina is very likable as an actress. I think she got it! I think the boys are ok, I mean, people talk about how hot they are. Well, I think they are ok, but not super hot like the Winchesters. I do think Damon is more interesting than Stefan, who I think is a bit boring and too good. Vamps are supported to be bad. I think Damon is more intriguing, and I like how he doesn't pretend. He fully embraced his darkness and embraced who he is -- a badass vampire. I have only finished watching season one, so don't tell me anything! Although I could look up Wiki. But no! Don't tell me anything!

Another thing about TVD is that, it is not gripping television. But it's enough. The story has moments. At times, the football and cheerleaders thing are too meh to me and I don't really like it, but I get this is part of the high school culture in America. Some of the supporting characters are too similar -- the other pretty boys. There is no key point of differentiation and I feel they are there to fill the gaps. Bonnie and Caroline are ok, I do like the witch aspects but they are not fully investing on it yet. I see Bonnie as the Chloe to Clark in Smallville, but will see. The season one finale was pretty good! Woot! Woot! 

As far as genre shows go, between TVD, True Blood and Being Human (US), I love Being Human the most. I think it's the emotion take on it, and there is something about Being Human, you know? With True Blood, I just can't get into it, I don't know what it is, but I just can't get into it. So, yes, TVD not gripping and I've been told it won't get any more gripping, but there is enough for me to keep watching.

My review of this week's Supernatural 'Taxi Driver' is coming. I won't write a review without watching it at least three times. So, it's coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, you know you want to! It is the Winchester way.