29 January 2013

J.J Abrams -- The Force Is With You

"What do you think of a J.J Abrams Day at Comic Con, George?"
Let me start by saying this: J.J Abrams is insane! If he is not an alien, he must be a super human being who is capable of attracting the force to be with him. I am beginning to think that Bad Robot has successfully cloned J.J Abrams in order for him to be involved in God-knows how many TV shows, new pilots and movies. Apart from the massive news in intergalactic proportion that J.J will be directing Star Wars VII, he also has two new pilots which have been ordered by NBC and Fox respectively.

'Who are you' is not the question... It is.. WHAT ARE YOU? Don't get me wrong, I admire J.J as a filmmaker, I love his work. But his plate is so full, I honestly don't have a clue about how he does it! May be he is half human half machine? May be he is Vader?

I am calm. I am really calm! 

Following the announcement of Star Wars VII, VIII and IX, Disney/ Lucasfilm have named the director, producers and writer for Star Wars VII. The news could not get any bigger that this. I know having Joss to direct The Avengers was huge, but just when I thought news couldn't get any bigger, it did. It was announced that J.J. Abrams will direct Star Wars VII, which is scheduled to be released in 2015. Star Wars VII is being written by Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3; Little Miss Sunshine; The Hunger Games: Catching Fire), produced by Kathleen Kennedy (Lucasfilm), Bryan Burk (Bad Robot) and J.J Abrams (Bad Robot), with Lawrence Kasdan and Simon Kinberg serving as consultants. 

So, ok.. here is what I think.

I totally think J.J Abrams is the right choice. He is not the only choice, but he is the right choice. He is the most in-demand director on planet Earth. I don't doubt him for a second. He will do an awesome job. Everyone will love him -- the cast, the crew, the studios and the audience. George loves him and he loves George. J.J is THE director every Hollywood celebrities want to do a movie with right now. The Academy or Foreign Press may not think he is award worthy, but who cares when you're loved by fans and studios! He is the new Spielberg and Eastwood. Get over it! Who knows? May be he will beat Christopher Nolan to win a major award for genre stuff.

J.J came out and said he wasn't interested in directing the new Star Wars when the announcement of the movies was made awhile ago. But I think George Lucas/ Lucasfilm must have been very convincing during negotiation. Was it aggressive negotiation? Was it money? Was it the creative control? Will J.J. have any creative input into the story? There must be something he couldn't say no to. May be George was using the force -- "This is the movie you want to direct."

Over the past few days, the web is swamped with speculations of the story directions. I see that there are a lot LOST references. Daddy issues and strong female characters, I get! But flash sideways? I like the idea but I think it's too LOST. Keep in mind, J.J. is not writing the story, he may have creative influences on the story direction but Michael Arndt is writing the script -- which can be seen as the bible that sets the direction not only for VII but for VIII and IX too. 

As an Oscar winning writer, I have not doubt Michael Arndt will produce great dialogues, characters and stories. I love Star Wars, but we have to admit, the scripts could have been a lot better. And I think this is the hole Arndt can fill. His writing suits today's audience, as does J.J's craft. Lens flare, anyone?

What I want is very simple. There is no Star Wars without a Skywalker. My hope is that there will be a Skywalker in the story. I will live if there isn't a Skywalker in it. But Supernatural isn't the same without Sam and Dean; 24 isn't the same without Jack Bauer; and 007 isn't the same without James Bond. Star Wars certainly isn't the same without a Skywalker!

We don't know when the story will take place and what the focus will be. But the force is strong with this lot. 2015 is set to be a massive MASSIVE year of genre movies. The Avengers II aside, Star Wars VII is going to make me cry! 

This news is so big I cannot process it! Wait until I hear about the cast, I think I am going to be sick!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, you know you want to! It is the Winchester way.