10 May 2009

Afterthoughts - Episode 4:21 When the Levee Breaks

Winchester Vs Winchester

First of all, let me get something off my chest.

Supernatural is epic, so epic it's like The Winchester Chronicles epic or The Winchester Gospel epic, it's just oh so good! As much as I like the other current popular TV dramas such as Lost, 24, House and perhaps Heroes, Supernatural is on top of my list and it is the best written show on television right now.

As we are preparing for the Season 4 finale Lucifer's Rising, I just want to say I have faith in Eric Kripke and his team to bring me the best season finale to date.

Ok.. onto my thoughts on When the Levee Breaks.

When the Levee Breaks
is probably one of the most heart breaking episodes of Supernatural. The brother vs brother stuff is great drama, but very heart breaking. Dean and Sam were punching each other like there is no tomorrow, they weren't under the influence of the Siren and they perfectly knew what they were doing.

Who is right? Who is wrong? And who is the biggest manipulator?

Is Sam doing the right thing? He thinks he is. He knows he is the only way who could stop Lilith. He's been informed by Ruby that Lilith is the only one who could break the last seal to free Lucifer. In order to do this, Sam has taken the darker path to take Lilith out, even if it means he will become a monster. Sam's current mentality is 'kill first, ask question later.' He will do this now, and he can only hope that he can patch things up with Dean later.

Sam's hallucination was very well written. Jared's performance in this episode was outstanding. I am very happy to see Mama Winchester in particular but where was Papa Winchester? I know JDM is a busy man, but I so want to see him to return! JDM has to return one way or another in Season 5!

From Dean's perspective, he would rather see Sam die as human than a monster. Remember in Season 2, John told Dean that if he couldn't save Sam, he had to kill him. I think this storyline will return more prominently in Season 5.

Dean has been told by the angels that he is the one to stop 'it' because he is the one who broke the first seal. I don't think Dean is thinking so much about the apocalypse and Lucifer. As a hunter, I think he will just deal with it, should Lucifer walk free or not, Dean will still save as many lives as possible. That's just who he is. But it is Sam who Dean truly cares about. If accepting his role to serve God and his angels and if this will relieve Sam, then Dean will do whatever the angels tell him to do. Dean reckons the angels are like the politicians from Vulcan, he is not 100% sure whether the angels can be trusted, but he also knows he has no choice but to accept his role. What exactly is Dean's role? What exactly do the angels want Dean to do?

Sam has been
manipulated by Ruby and now (I hate to say it and I hope I am wrong) I feel that Dean is manipulated by the angels, not by Castiel, but by others who are higher up on the chain of command. Dean and Castiel are caught in the middle. If this is correct, then I think Castiel will one day ignore the orders from his superiors and help Dean even if it means he will be punished.

Who is running the show in heaven?
Again, how many angels feel the same way as Uriel? Perhaps there are a lot of politics in heaven, perhaps it's not so perfect after all. Perhaps one day Sam and Dean will say "How stupid were we to be manipulated by the angels and demons? Let's be brothers again and eat some pies."

Overall, I absolutely love this episode! It sets up the season finale nicely and I cannot fudging wait to see the finale. I wish I have a theory about the finale, but I don't. I am just going to sit back and relax (if I can).. perhaps with a box of Kleenex.

When the summer hiatus hits, I will read Supernatural Rising Son comic and Supernatural: In the Hunt. Probably catch up with all my Lost and 24 episodes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, you know you want to! It is the Winchester way.