14 May 2013

Review: Supernatural 'Clip Show'



The penultimate episode of season eight of Supernatural, Clip Show, was very ambitious. Not only it continued with the technicality of the story -- the third trial of closing the gate of Hell and the first trial of closing the gate of Heaven with Castiel and Metatron -- this episode also involved many emotional dramas.

My immediate thought on Clip Show is this...

When I first started watching Supernatural, things like Bloody Mary and Demons really creeped me out! Horror/ supernatural was never my favourite genre because I am a chicken shit like that. I can't even watch stuff like Exorcist or The Eye (the original Japanese version) or Paranormal Activity.

But as years go by, while I still can't watch horror movies, I got used to creepy things on Supernatural. But as I was watching the exorcism scenes in Clip Show, I was scared for the first time in a long time. The way the scene was written, designed and shot was brilliant! It was raw, it was scary and very creepy. I had to turn to lights on and close my eyes for a few times. Yes, Sam was spot on -- THAT was new! How are they going to cure a demon? This is how! It freaks me out! It was, well, WEIRD!!!

 

Supernatural has upgraded a few things this year in terms of 'weaponry' -- Henry's devil trap bullet, Crowley's angel killing bullet, and now we have an exorcism that cures a demon. What I am says is that, I continue to admire the spirit of creativity and I love how the writers are not complacent. After eight seasons of Supernatural, they still manage to come up with cool stuff based on existing materials but without wracking previous inventions. When are we going to see the bungee or the ninja's shuriken?

Right now, I am very distracted by hot Jensen at JIBCON in Rome. Anyway, moving on to a few other reactions…

I don't know if I am surprised to see the way Dean treated Cas in this episode. I guess I was a little, but then again, I wasn't. Dean was pissed off and why wouldn't he be? Trust is an important thing to Dean, it's like he survives on trust. Dean wants/needs to trust his family and friends, and Dean needs them to trust him. If he says he will get you out, he will get you out! Trust him! He wants you to trust him! I think part of the reason Dean was pissed at Cas because Cas still hasn't learnt from the past. Dean was pissed because Cas could've asked Dean and Sam for help, and worked with the boys. Cas still acted like a child, he thought buying Dean Busty Asian Beauty, toilet papers and pies would fix things. It's almost too cute! But dude, no! Cas still hasn't fully understand human emotions, and perhaps he never will.



Cas always does something wrong when he does something right. He lacks clarity. Cas' emotional intelligence is not his strength and he tends to screw things up even if he doesn't mean to. Cas is up front about the angel tablet, he doesn't trust Dean (but he doesn't even know what it means.) On one hand, Cas cherishes his friends, he cares about them and all that, but he also knows if Dean gets his hands on the angel tablets, he will shut down Heaven. What would happen to his kind? Cas is always caught in the middle and he doesn't always know what to do. For once, I'd like to see Cas to kick ass and man up! As for Dean, he will get over it. He has to let Cas know, this is not ok. Too much? Well, just coz he cares!

Demons don't pretend to be the good guys, except Ruby. But the angels always pretend they are the good guys. Do I trust Metatron? I like the guy, but I can't help but think he has his own agenda. May be he knows his ass is on the line. The sooner Heaven is shut down the better for him. I think he is like Gabriel, he'd hide and run. May be he just wants a good life. Metatron loves stories, may be he wants his story to be told to the world. May be he wants to be one of the heroes of the story. There is something about him -- the way presented a business case to Cas regarding shutting the gate of Heaven. One thing of sure, Heaven is at civil war, crap will spill over to earth, it always will. Closing the gates of Hell and Heaven is equally important to our heroes! But what are the consequences?



I do feel that it was a bit too ambitious to introduce the first trial of shutting the gate of Heaven arc in this episode. If it was indeed legit! It's like eating cheese after desert. It's good, don't get me wrong, but I think this angel tablet arc kinda belongs to a separate episode with more details. It's fine to talk about it between Cas and Metatron, but I didn't think they would actually start the trials now. That's why I have this weird feeling about Metatron's intention and if this first trial was legit. Having said that, I did like the interaction between Metatron and Cas. For the record, I love crepes too.

Let's talk about demons. Crowley is one smart demon and he is such a hero hater! I've said this many times! This time, he dug up the Supernatural books and started the killing spree. His monologue was so cool -- "Saving people, hunting things, family business" Crowley is like "you tell yourself that!" We have not seen anyone challenging the 'Winchester family business' motif like this before. Not even Lucifer! From Crowley's perspective -- he was totally right. This was obviously the best scene of the episode in my opinion.

Crowley's history is interesting, like I said before, he is an opportunist. Crowley really plays his A game in the past few episodes. How will he flare if/when Abaddon, a Knight of Hell, declares a war against the King of Hell?Crowley has always been a salesman. He wasn't a leadership contender when YED and Lilith were around, I don't think. He basically took advantage of the situation and moved up. He's come too far to not fight Abaddon, if she really declares war. I think Crowley really earns his King of Hell title. He really fought for it, he picked his battles and his enemies. He is an opportunist. He worked hard to be where he is today. Now that Abaddon is in the picture, that's gotta stir some internal politics! She is a badass and reminds me a little bit of Meg. Why did Abaddon want the key to MoL? I don't think we have fully explored that, right? But if she is sticking around for season nine, Abaddon is going to be a major player, and you bet there will be more MoL stuff.   



Speaking of the MoL, I really love Sam and Dean working the case and using available resources in the bunker. The whole thing about the cure is fascinating. Creepy but fascinating! I am so obsessed about the Men of Letters. I just love the MoL bunker, Room 7B, the secret dungeon, and the file #1138. The MoL is the best thing happened to the Winchesters since the Impala! Please tell me there are more secret tunnels!

It's Supernatural, and we've got Dean and Sam. No matter what's going to happen, I know they will kick it in the ass!! I spent the whole week thinking about theories, but you know what? My head hurts! I can't! I can't wait to see what Jeremy Carver has installed for us!!!! I am nervous, and I need a hug! One thing for sure, there will be on hell of a cliffhanger!

This is it! I am super nervous.

This time next week, you'll find yourself in Hell and you're likely to stay there during the hiatus. It's just the downside of being a fan of Supernatural.


 
8.23 Sacrifice

WHAT MUST SAM, DEAN AND CASTIEL SACRIFICE TO FOREVER SEAL HELL? — With Crowley (guest star Mark Sheppard) poised to undo all the good they’ve ever done as hunters, Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) find themselves cornered.  But with Kevin’s (guest star Osric Chau) help, the Winchester brothers bound into one last play against The Demon King. Metatron (guest star Curtis Armstrong) initiates a plan with Castiel (Misha Collins) to take on Naomi (guest star Amanda Tapping) and the bureaucracy of Heaven. Alaina Huffman and Kim Rhodes also guest star. Phil Sgriccia directed the episode written by Jeremy Carver.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment, you know you want to! It is the Winchester way.